Wednesday 23 August 2023

Stop the scroll: Engage

Here is a draft personal opinion blog post:

As a parent, there is one thing that really irks me - seeing other parents glued to their phones instead of engaging with their children. I've taken my kids to restaurants and seen parents just staring at their screens while their children try to get their attention. I've been to beaches, playgroups, and playgrounds where parents let their kids run wild so they can scroll on their phones. 

In my opinion, nothing is more valuable than quality time with your children. Physically playing with them and being present fosters social development and strengthens your bond. Children learn by modeling behavior, so when we ignore them for our devices, we teach them poor manners and set a bad example. 

I want my children to grow into good citizens with strong interpersonal skills. That won't happen if I'm disengaged, eyes glued to a screen. Like Willy Wonka said, time is precious - don't waste the precious, fleeting moments of childhood! 

Beyond development, I worry about privacy and safety when I see parents plastering their children's lives all over social media. Childhood moments should be cherished privately, not exploited for likes. 

Obviously we all need breaks and moments to check our devices. But when out with your kids, try to be fully present. Keep the phone in your pocket. Engage with them, embrace the moment, and model good behavior. Your children will thank you for it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.