Wednesday 23 August 2023

My Calling Found Me: Embracing Innovation in Special Education

Finding My Passion in Special Education

When the pandemic hit and teachers were placed into bubbles, it ended up being a blessing in disguise for me. I finally felt valued as I was given more time to reflect on my true calling as an educator. In my spare moments, I began researching ways to better support students with learning differences, particularly those with dyslexia like myself. Although undiagnosed until adulthood, I now recognize the daily struggles I faced as a dyslexic learner. This led me to create resources on my website "Dino-Resource-US" to promote awareness and help other students who learn differently.  

Taking a leap of faith, I accepted a position as a teaching assistant at Newfriars College's specialized SEND program. This has been a life-changing experience. The staff fully supports innovation and has created a pathway for me to get back into teaching. This year, I began delivering sessions on assistive technology to help students overcome barriers in literacy and promote independent living skills. Seeing their growth as they learn to use text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and accessibility settings is incredibly rewarding. My dream of being a teacher again feels within reach.

My passion for special education grows daily. The journey has shaped me into the educator I am today, and I look forward to expanding my assistive technology sessions next term. I'm thankful for the supportive community at Newfriars that empowers me to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.