Tuesday, 16 June 2026

The Great Digital Reset: Making Sense of the Under-16 Social Media Ban

Yesterday, the government dropped a rather significant policy shift onto our newsfeeds: a complete block on social media, including platforms like YouTube, for all under-16s. Almost instantly, the comment sections lit up. Some of the louder voices immediately cried foul, labelling it an act of draconian censorship or a conspiratorial push for digital IDs.

Honestly? I don't buy that for a single minute. To me, throwing around the word 'censorship' in this context feels like a fully-fledged conspiracy theory. While I firmly believe in protecting our personal rights, we also have to face facts: we are living in a day and age where millions of us are consuming vast, terrifying quantities of digital trash.

Falling into the Dopamine Pit

Let's be candid about what a lot of this content actually is. It isn't enriching our lives; it is, effectively, absolute garbage.
When it comes to short-form videos and reels, we are quite literally rewiring our brains. We get stuck in what I call a 'dopamine pit'—a constant cycle of receiving a mini-reward every thirty seconds. It's a phenomenon backed up by science, too. For instance, recent research from King’s College London highlighted that half of the UK public feel their attention span is shorter than it used to be. You can see this creeping into our schools, where there are genuine concerns about how this rapid-fire consumption is impacting reading abilities and the basic capacity to sit and concentrate.

We’ve even reached a point where sitting down to watch a two-hour film feels like a marathon for some. Television series are now frequently having to start with lengthy recaps just to remind viewers what happened a mere week ago.

 "Probably Look at the Wall"

There was a fascinating piece on BBC News recently that perfectly captured the scale of the issue. A reporter was visiting a school, chatting with students about the impending ban. Unsurprisingly, not a single one of them was in favour.

One young girl argued that she desperately needed her apps to keep in touch with friends. The reporter gently pointed out her digital wellbeing tracker, noting she had spent a staggering nine hours on her phone over the weekend. When asked what on earth she was going to do with those nine hours instead, her deadpan response was: *"Probably look at the wall."*

It’s a funny, slightly tragic comment that highlights just how deeply ingrained these habits have become. But it also points to a vital nuance we often miss.

The Tool vs. The Trap

We have to separate the trap of social media from the tool of the smartphone. Smartphones are, objectively, wonderful inventions. They empower us to manage our banking, do our shopping, and confidently navigate around our communities.
Because of this, I would be much more in favour of a targeted ban on social media whilst still allowing under-16s to use smartphones for independent living skills. We shouldn't strip away the tools that make modern life accessible; we just need to filter out the noise.

Navigating Our Own Digital Wellbeing

Don't get me wrong, I am hardly standing on a pedestal here. I readily admit that I consume far too much myself. For me, it doesn't usually manifest as mindless scrolling, but rather as endless, obsessive rabbit holes. I’ll be watching a programme and suddenly think, *"Ooh, what's he been in? Who else plays for that team? That international player, what club does he play for?"  Before I know it, an hour has vanished.

When I actually check my own screen time on a typical day, the bulk of it is taken up by music apps and Waze, which I rely on to navigate around the community. It’s functional, but it’s still screen time. It is exactly why I think it’s a brilliant idea for absolutely everyone—adults included—to set their own digital wellbeing targets.

The Way Forward: Digital Literacy

Ultimately, bans and blocks can only do so much. What we desperately need in this country is a massive push for digital literacy.
We need to educate people—especially the younger generations—that excessive consumption of short-form video and social media is genuinely bad for their mental and cognitive health. But equally, we need to educate them about the immense positives. We need to teach them how to harness these incredible pocket-sized computers to better their lives, rather than letting the algorithms dictate their days. Only when we strike that balance can we truly put the 'smart' back into smartphones


This text was conceived and directed by a human, using Voice-to-Text and AI assistance to overcome a dyslexia induced literacy barrier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.