It’s practically mid-June already—Saturday the 13th, to be exact. It is absolutely mental how quickly this year is flying by; you blink and suddenly the summer term is upon us. Lately, amidst the usual blur of the school calendar, I’ve found myself in a rather interesting and challenging position. I'm actively toying with the idea of applying for a digital strategy leadership role within the Trust. On paper, it makes perfect sense. I’ve got all the attributes and I fit the bill perfectly for what they are looking for. In truth, though, the main barrier to doing well in that role—or even just putting my hat in the ring—is simply me. I am my own biggest enemy, battling that nagging inner voice that questions if I'm truly ready.
The Illusion of "Formal" Leadership
A part of my mind shrinks away from the idea of "formal" leadership. There's a certain weight to the title that feels daunting. But when I take a step back and really evaluate my day-to-day, I’m already leading a fair bit anyway, just without the official badge. I’ve been heading up TAS, managing the print shop, and making massive, structural decisions regarding the curriculum. More recently, I’ve been making strategic decisions at a Trust-wide educational level, polishing off and implementing our AI policy across all our schools. I’ve led numerous workshops on the use of AI and SEND, and over time, I’ve become quite a known figure in the field. I’ve put in the hard yards and done the groundwork; I just need to learn how to sell myself and own the space I already occupy.
It’s a classic case of imposter syndrome, isn't it? It reminds me of recent UK workplace studies which suggest that over 70% of us experience imposter syndrome at some point in our careers, feeling like we aren't quite ready for a promotion even whilst we're already doing the heavy lifting. We are certainly not alone in this feeling, but recognising it is the first step to beating it.
Pragmatic Tech and National Standards
The application deadline is the 30th of June, so the clock is ticking, but I’m ready to push forward. Honestly, what’s the worst that can happen? If I don’t get it, it isn’t the end of the world. Life goes on. Even in the worst-case scenario, simply going through the application process puts my ambitions clearly in my line manager’s mind for the future. And my ambitions are certainly high: if I take on digital strategy, I want to lead by national standards. I want our work to stand out and have a massive, measurable impact on the wider educational landscape.
Crucially, however, I want to remain thoroughly pragmatic. In education, it is far too easy to be seduced by the latest gadgets. We don't want shiny tech just for the sake of having shiny tech—that’s a trap too many schools fall into. It has to have a genuine, tangible impact on teaching, learning, and student progress. We have to work backwards from what the learners actually need, rather than forcing a piece of software onto a classroom. Alongside this, I’m constantly thinking about ways we can build digital accessibility so no student is left behind. It all comes back to a simple, driving mantra: if I believe, I can achieve. I just have to get into the mindset of stepping forward, claiming my expertise, and saying, "Right, I am coming forward, and I want this."
Weekend Wind-Downs and the World Cup
On a more personal note, it's been a rather tiring, disjointed weekend. Sarah went out with friends and didn’t get in until 1 a.m., so I ended up having a late one myself, watching *28 Years Later*. It's a brilliant film, but the tension meant I couldn't sleep properly afterwards, which naturally led to staying up late for the football.
The World Cup has officially kicked off, bringing its usual mix of drama and exhaustion! The opening match between Mexico and South Africa wasn't terribly exciting, unfortunately—a bit tedious, actually, and lacking that opening-day spark. However, I did thoroughly enjoy Canada against Bosnia last night; Canada absorbed the pressure brilliantly to get back into the game after conceding early on. The USA vs. Paraguay match in the early hours was very one-sided and a bit of a slog to get through, but tonight we've got Scotland vs. Haiti. It should be a comfortable win for Scotland on paper, but as they say, football is a funny old game and absolutely nothing is guaranteed.
Looking Forward
So, that’s where we are at the moment. A weekend of late-night football, a bit of cinematic fatigue, but mostly, a renewed, quiet focus on what lies ahead. It’s time to be more confident, to back my own hard-earned credentials, and to properly go for that leadership role. Let’s keep moving forward and see what the rest of June brings.
“This text was conceived and directed by a human, using Voice-to-Text and AI assistance to overcome a dyslexia induced literacy barrier.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.