Sunday, 20 September 2026

Boiling Kettles, Deepfakes, and the Eternal Hunt for PPA Time


Right, it’s been an absolutely full-on week. The learners are finally back in the building, bringing with them that brilliant, chaotic energy that makes teaching so rewarding. We've hit the ground running, and my days have been a whirlwind of inductions, digital assessments, and the familiar administrative juggling act that every teacher knows all too well.

As we embark on this new term, I've been reflecting on how we prepare our learners not just for the tasks at hand, but for the very real physical and digital worlds they are stepping into. It’s a delicate balance of scaring them just enough to keep them safe, while empowering them enough to let them thrive.

The "Boiling Kettle" Approach to Health & Safety

This week alone, I’ve delivered four separate health and safety inductions in the print shop. Now, when it comes to health and safety, I firmly believe in a bit of a pragmatic scare tactic to ensure respect for the equipment.
Take the heat presses, for example. I always start by asking the room, "Does anyone know how hot the water gets before it boils in a kettle?" Most learners don't actually know the exact temperature—and that’s completely fine. All they really need to know is that a boiling kettle is dangerously hot, and the industrial heat presses we use can get twice as hot as that.

It works every time. Suddenly, they understand why they must never reach out to pull a heated mug by its handle. We then move on to the more invisible dangers. I stress the importance of a clear floor, reminding them that there can be zero trip or slip hazards. It might sound like I'm being a stickler, but the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regularly reports that slips, trips, and falls account for roughly a third of all non-fatal workplace injuries in Britain. Keeping the floor clear isn't just a rule; it's a lifeline.
Then it's into the storeroom to look at the vinyl cutter. I point out the incredibly sharp cutting needle and the obvious reasons why fingers and moving parts are a disastrous combination. I also make the dangers of our industrial white inks crystal clear. By the end of the induction, I’ve essentially scared the living daylights out of them. But honestly? It works wonderfully. The learners take it all on board. I even run them through triage scenarios: You’ve got a job to finish, a customer walks in, and someone spills something on the floor. What do you do first? (Spoiler: Deal with the spillage). Health and safety has to be the number one priority in any printworks, and it's brilliant to see them absorbing that responsibility.

Gravity, Cardboard, and Common Sense

Teaching stock control is another opportunity for a memorable visual lesson. I like to ask a student to explain why it’s a terrible idea to store heavy ceramic mugs on the top shelf.
I’ll paint a picture for them: "Imagine your job is to do a stock-take. If a big, heavy mug falls off that top shelf and lands on your head, it’s going to give you a nasty injury." To lighten the mood—and prove a point—I’ll then arrange for an empty cardboard mug box to fall onto my head. It’s annoying, certainly, but as I tell them, "It’s just a bit of cardboard. You're not getting a concussion."

We also discuss the knock-on effects. What if a mug falls when the room is empty, shatters on the floor, and goes unnoticed? The next person who kneels down to do a stock-take on the lower shelves is in for a horrific surprise. It’s all about teaching them to anticipate the consequences of their environment.

Navigating the Digital Minefield


Once we had the physical hazards sorted, it was time to tackle the digital ones. For our digital skills assessment, I designed a task that feels increasingly urgent in today's climate. I presented the students with a mix of real photographs and AI-generated images, challenging them to work out which was the real deal and which was the fake.

It’s an eye-opening exercise. As technology improves at breakneck speed, spotting the synthetic images is becoming nearly impossible. To really hammer the point home, I’ve been taking real photographs from news articles, asking an AI to forensically describe the image, and then feeding that description back into several different AI apps to generate brand-new, synthetic versions. I present the real image alongside its AI clones to see who can confidently identify the truth.

A recent report by Ofcom highlighted that a significant portion of internet users—both adults and children—struggle to distinguish between genuine news and AI-generated content. For our learners, building this critical eye is vital. We followed this up with an introduction to Canva and a survey focused on enforcing healthy digital habits and digital wellbeing. My core philosophy here is simple: knowledge is power. If you understand what these algorithms and tools are doing, and how they impact you, you are empowered to do something about it.

Finding the Fun (and Accessibility)


Of course, it hasn't all been doom, gloom, and danger. We’ve had a proper laugh, too.
We played Kahoot, and then finished up with one of my absolute favourite games. I give a learner a wireless microphone and have them walk around the room, speaking a few random words. We use voice typing to capture their thoughts, and then we shove that raw text into Microsoft Copilot to see what kind of nonsensical, hilarious story it can weave together. We even use AI to generate a silly book cover for our new tale.

It is brilliant fun, but it also serves a deeper purpose. Getting people comfortable with voice typing is incredibly important. For some of our learners, voice-to-text isn't just a fun gimmick; it is a profoundly strong asset that removes the mechanical barriers of writing, allowing their natural creativity to shine through.

The Eternal Juggling Act

As successful as the classroom environment has been, the behind-the-scenes reality is a bit more frayed.

We are moving into the next phase of the term—tracking progress and planning with specific targets in mind—and yet, I haven't had a proper PPA (Planning, Preparation, and Assessment) session this year. It is incredibly frustrating. I wasn't in for the first week, and during the second week, a rebranding meeting stretched on far too long and swallowed my time. Then, this past Friday, I ended up having to take my daughter to the doctor during my scheduled PPA slot. Family always comes first, but it means I'm looking down the barrel of a four-week stretch feeling a little bit on the back foot.

Still, if teaching has taught me anything, it's resilience. I might be playing catch-up right now, but the learners are safe, they are engaged, and we are making real progress. I’ll catch up. I always do.

Here’s to the next four weeks.



This text was conceived and directed by a human, using Voice-to-Text and AI assistance to overcome a dyslexia induced literacy barrier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.