Tuesday, 28 April 2026

Striking the Digital Balance: Why We Need to Rethink Screen Time, Not Just Ban It

If you have an Android phone, there’s a handy little feature tucked away in your settings called 'Digital Wellbeing'. It gives you a stark, unvarnished gauge of exactly how much of your life is being spent staring at a screen.
Recently, I’ve been making a conscious, concerted effort to cut my daily screen time down. I checked it the other evening, and I can proudly say that by 8:00 PM, I was sitting at just 1 hour and 46 minutes. What’s more, a massive proportion of that time was purely practical: using Waze for the commute and listening to YouTube Music on the drive.
It felt like a small victory. But it also got me thinking about the wider picture, especially when it comes to the next generation.

The Consumption Crisis

When you look at the digital habits of some young people today, the numbers are genuinely terrifying. It’s not uncommon to find teenagers regularly clocking in eight or nine hours of screen time a day.

Now, don't get me wrong—I am very pro-technology. I use my phone constantly to navigate the world, whether that’s getting around places, doing the online shopping, or managing my banking. The device itself isn't the enemy; the issue is the *consumption*.
Specifically, it's the endless, mindless consumption of short-form videos on platforms like TikTok and Snapchat. We aren't just guessing about the impact of this anymore. There is a growing mountain of evidence showing the profound effect this has on cognitive attention spans and mental health. A recent study by King's College London, for instance, highlighted that heavy smartphone use in adolescents is strongly linked to increased anxiety, disrupted sleep, and poorer mental wellbeing. We are raising a generation whose dopamine receptors are being hijacked by algorithms.

The Pragmatic View on Phone Bans

This brings us to the inevitable debate: should we just ban them?

To some extent, I completely understand the advocates for a blanket school phone ban. I really do. When you see the distraction and the distress these devices can cause, eradication feels like the safest route.
But I’m also a pragmatist. I look at the incredible benefits these devices offer, particularly when we talk about 'Preparation for Adulthood'. For many young people, a smartphone is a lifeline. It’s how they learn to navigate public transport safely, manage their finances, and organise their independent lives. Stripping that tool away entirely feels incredibly short-sighted.

Education Over Eradication

The key, as with most things in life, is finding the right balance.

We shouldn't just be snatching devices out of hands; we need to be actively educating our young people to use their devices smartly and intentionally. We must be having open, honest conversations with them, alerting them to the very real dangers of passive digital consumption.

Technology isn't going anywhere. Our job isn't to pretend the digital world doesn't exist, but to teach the next generation how to swim in it without drowning.


*“This text was conceived and directed by a human, using Voice-to-Text and AI assistance to overcome a dyslexia induced literacy barrier.”*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.